THE WEATHER WE LEFT BEHIND

Monday, March 2, 2009

Today is Monday and we are at Mr. Moro Motel & RV park on the Sea of Cortez (Pacific Ocean as far as I'm concerned). Arrived yesterday afternoon around 2:00pm after a drive of about 300 miles. On the map you can see Guasave, MX. Mr. Moro is in a little ocean front city that goes by the name of Las Glorias. So we had to get off hwy 15 and drive an hour to get to the beach front park. Normally, not a big deal. But, we had to arrive here on a Sunday afternoon when what looked like the entire town of Guasave had driven to the beach with all the kids and motorized toys! The normal road to the park was all torn up and being rebuilt so I had nowhere to go but to the beach road. Cars and trucks lined all up and down both sides! One lane of road remained with everyone trying to go in both directions! I was stuck. Couldn't go forward. Couldn't back up. And I'm in this 30' motor home towing a car behind me!

Street vendors were yelling at me to not hit their canopies, the traffic behind me was honking horns to move. The traffic coming at me just wanted me out of their way.

Then God stepped in and sent a local resident to my window who told me to follow him. He walked ahead and told the oncomming traffic to just pull out of the way and stop for a minute. Let the gringo get by. One by one he cleared vehicles out of my way so I could inch forward until I was far enough down the beach road to be back in a two lane street. Didn't hit any buildings, cars, trees, people, or dogs. Tried to "thank god" with a $20 peso note but he refused!

Mr. Moro was then just a half mile down the beach. We got in and got a spot right on the ocean! I tell ya, these drives off the highway have a way of always being exciting, but boy the results are beautiful. It was extremely helpful, also, that Mr. Moro has a restaurant and bar. We showered and went to Sunday service - Tequila and garlic shrimp!

Today I drove back down the beach road in the car just to take another look at what I went through yesterday. Not a person in site! Everyone went home. Not one store open. Not one restaruant. Not one car parked anywhere. Next time I'll know not to arrive on a Sunday.

Internet connection in the restaurant here at the park, but not fast enough for pictures. Tomorrow we drive another 275 miles back to San Carlos, our first stop in MX on our way down. Should be able to get pictures on there. However, no pictures of the mess comming in yesterday - too stressed to even think about the camera, but sure would have been interesting to show you.

Went through an agricultural inspection stop on the highway yesterday. The agent came into the motorhome to look in the refridgerator. Confiscated one apple. Said it was a problem and left. I think he just wanted it to eat. I love this country! Tomorrow we go through a military checkpoint. That should be fun!

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...That sounds crazy..Glad you made it. Safe travels across the boarder. XOXOXOX ..Patty