THE WEATHER WE LEFT BEHIND

Thursday, February 19, 2009

It’s Thursday and the first day of Carnaval in Mazatlan. So far there is nothing on the island to distinguish this day from any other. I went into Mazatlan today and was not aware of anything unusual going on – just every car seemed to have the “jam box” jacked up full volume. We hear nothing really cranks up until night and then not really wild until the weekend. It’s 7:30pm here and we hear nothing. But this island is sooooo laid back from the city that quiet is expected anyway.

I went to town by myself today because EJH was not “up to par” after our neighbor’s birthday celebration last night. I was good – she was not! Enough said, you all know Ellen.

I picked up my sandal that needed stitching. I dropped it off yesterday but could not wait for it to be done. Got it today - $15 pesos or about $1.00 US.

I wanted a refill for a medication I’m taking. Most medications that require a Doctor’s prescription in the US are “over the counter” here in Mexico. The particular one I wanted refilled had no refills remaining so I could not get it taken care of at home without an appointment with my Doctor. I did not want to pay him several hundred dollars or whatever he would have charged for the visit and there would be no guarantee he would even refill it.

Knowing that such things are a little more “relaxed” here in Mexico I opted to just get it done here. The farmacia would not give it to me without a doctor’s written order because this one is considered a “controlled” medication in Mexico as well as in the US. I mentioned in an earlier post that I saw the doctor “on call” at the farmacia a week or so ago, but she was not allowed to write the prescription. Today I went to the doctor who was allowed to write the Rx and after a 45 min wait got in to see him. Quite a different process than back home. No appointments taken. First come first served. When one patient leaves the doctor’s office no nurse directs you to go in. You just are told when you get there what your position in line is to see him. One patient leaves, and you just get up and go in.

I did so and he asked what I wanted. He barely looked up at me. I showed him my “no refills remaining” Rx from home and he said he could (would) only give me a two month supply. I said bueno. He wrote the Rx and said I owed him $100 pesos ($14.00 US). Not a bad deal! As I left he said if I need more to just come back again. That $100 peso note went directly into his pocket. No invoice, no receipt, no nothing. No problem! Denada! I’m guessing if I went back out and got in line again he would have given me another Rx for another $100 pesos! I love this country!

I, as well as Ellen, take several non-controlled medications that still require a doctor’s Rx in the states to get. They are over-the-counter here as stated above so we got a good supply at about 1/3 the cost compared to US prices and no doctor’s appointment needed. Big savings!!!!!

I bought 2# of shrimp on my way back for $100 pesos ($14.00 US) and 2# of mahi for another $80 pesos. Given the economy at home I’m not sure I can afford to return any time soon.

Patty Peterson arrives tomorrow and our Mazatlan friend, Mazatlan Lee, will make the journey across the harbor to Stone Island, the trip to the aeroporto, lunch with us at Estrella del Mar on the ocean after we pick up Patty, and back to the RV park to check out our site and meet the girls. We are looking forward to a great time.

There should be a new video available from our sailing trip last Saturday. Please check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola!
If you don't return home, I say open a cantina beach grill. I know several people that will come and work for you. That Ellen she forgets she not as young as she use to be. Have fun with Patty I wish I were all of you.
Love Chincia